I have not eaten spinach fufu before but I would love to try this swallow. If you have not started making your swallow from scratch by yourself it is time you start doing that, to watch what you eat and to be sure of how they are been prepared. Health is wealth and to be healthy one has to be mindful of what he or he consumes.
I am sure that with Spinach Fufu, you can now come over to the bright side and believe that anything can actually serve as fufu. Who would have known that there will come a time when spinach would be used as fufu. You do not need to worry about how to prepare this swallow, it is easy to make you only have to follow the instructions and use the ingredients below.
Ingredients for Spinach Fufu
You can make this with these 2 combinations of ingredients:
Spinach Fufu Combination
- 500g ground frozen spinach
- 1 teaspoon Psyllium Huskor
- 500g frozen ground spinach
- 1 tablespoon oat powder
Notes about the ingredients
Take note of these before preparing spinach fufu;
- Where I live, I can buy frozen ground spinach from the frozen foods section of my local supermarket. Look for this in your local supermarket too especially if you live outside Nigeria. Remember, the spinach is ground (grinded). There is another type of frozen spinach that is merely chopped, that one will not work well with the spinach fufu recipe.
- Instead of ground frozen spinach, you can use leafy spinach, ugu, green amaranth, kale and other leafy vegetables to prepare spinach fufu. If it is what you are using, please read the Before You Prepare Spinach Fufu section below.
- Psyllium husk is a low carb binder that will make the spinach fufu moldable so we will be able to make balls of fufu with it while eating. Spinach on its own cannot be molded into fufu balls. Psyllium husk is all natural but please read up on it to be sure it is good for you before you use it. See where to buy it from below.
- Spinach fufu prepared with psyllium husk is for those on a strict low carb diet such as the ketogenic diet while spinach fufu prepared with oat flour is for every other person.
- In method 1, instead of psyllium husk you can use arrow root powder to bind the spinach fufu.
- In method 2, instead of oat flour you can use semolina, wheat, corn flour, cassava flour to bind the spinach fufu.
Before you prepare Spinach Fufu
- Bring out the ground frozen spinach the evening before the day you will make it. Set it on your kitchen counter to defrost naturally on its own. By lunch time the next day, it should be perfectly defrosted. See video below.
- If you are using leafy vegetables, pick and rinse them thoroughly then chop and blend with as little water as possible. Sieve to remove the water and set the sieved vegetables aside for the fufu. You can drink the water if you wish.
Directions for Making Spinach Fufu
- Put the defrosted vegetables into a pot and start cooking on medium heat. If using leafy vegetables, put the sieved vegetables in the pot and start cooking on medium heat.
- When it heats up, stir for 2 minutes and add the psyllium husk or the oat flour depending on which binder you are using.
- Mix again for about 2 minutes or till well combined and a dough starts to form.
- Wrap it up and serve with a Nigerian soup for swallows.
- That’s it! Watch the video below for a visual process.